Wednesday, September 30, 2009

Lost River Cave

Justin had one of his rare weeks off last week. However it was only like five days because a seminar he needed to attend happen to fall on his days off and he also picked up a moonlighting shift. So between that and all the blasted rain, we didn't do much of anything.

We decided to attempt a visit to the great state of Kentucky and this place my friend told me about, The Lost River Cave. I planned everything oh so carefully, packing lunch and working around naps, only to find when we got there that the water level was too high and they weren't doing cave tours.

So we did something Justin and I only dreamed of as kids. We bought a bag of dirt and panned for rocks and fossils. It was loads of fun! I honestly think Justin was more excited than Izzy. When we got home they worked together to identify all their jewels.


Isabella's exploding imagination has her being a new favorite character every day. This day she was Dora. That is why she is wearing the back-pack.
My dude!

Even though, we couldn't go in the cave, we were able to hike down to the cave and look in. This area is beautiful.

We also hiked through the mud to see a few butterflies flying around a butterfly house.

Our other big accomplishment of the week? We got our family picture taken (Izzy is 7 months in the last one we had done.)

9 comments:

Emily said...

What a great spot for some family time! Makes me want to vacation there!

The Miller's said...

Love the pictures!! Family picture is too cute!!! We really need to get a family picture too.

Becca said...

Great colors on the family pictures!!!

Andersons said...

What a fun lil' family trip! And YOU look awesome missy! Are you loving that jogging stroller or what? :-)

Kim and Ken Carlile said...

Abby those family pictures are beautiful! I just love them.

Kimberli said...

Looks like a fun trip. And great pics... I love the colors you chose. Everyone looks so happy!

The Harrises said...

Oh! It just stinks when your husband gets vacation, but doesn't really get vacation. That is really what urked me the most. I can feel my blood boiling just thinking about it with you.
I'll have to investigate that cave. We're not so far from Kentucky, and I have always wanted to go.

The-7-C's said...

I like your family picture a lot. I can relate, getting a family pic is a major accomplishment.

Jill said...

You are such fun parents! Your kids are so beautiful. Your little guy is growing so fast...so handsome! I wish our two three year olds could hang out!