Tuesday, June 29, 2010

I competed in my first triathlon ever last Saturday. Though it was incredibly hot, I really loved participating. I was so nervous for the 400 yard swim. I am not a swimmer and I've only been swimming for a month. Turns out that was my favorite part.

I did learn a few lessons I'm willing to share with anyone looking forward to competing in their own triathlon.

1. Don't leave your timing chip at home. It causes panic and last minute running around when you realize it's missing.
2. You really should have a road bike. A mountain bike will work, but a 60 year-old women might fly by you like you're standing still.
3. Make sure you have someone dressed up like a cheerleader (preferably your 3 year-old daughter) cheering you on to do well on the last leg of your run.
4. Train with a really good friend who has done several triathlons before you so she can give you really good tips especially when it comes to swimming.
5. If you can avoid it, pick a triathlon that doesn't occur on a day when the high is in the 90s.

I really did love training and participating for this race. I'm not giving up running races, but I do plan on more triathlons. I love that I accomplished something for me. I sure wasn't fast and have tons of room for improvement, but it was awesome!

Me, running in the distance. You can see Iz in her cheerleader outfit.
Zoomed in a little.
Thanks for the motivation Becca! (yeah, her baby is only 7 months old, she ROCKS!)
My favorite cheerleader!

6 comments:

Emily said...

Woo-woo! Congrats Abby, a great feeling!

Jaime said...

Don't you love triathlons? I love them too and have become addicted. Although this year I'm doing more running but next year I want to do an olympic one. it's true about the road bike. I bought me one after the first couple. It does help a ton. I love biking too. I wish you lived by my to train with. Congrats.

Kim and Ken Carlile said...

SO awesome. You were always my best running partner. I know you could inspire me to do one.

The Harrises said...

You did it, way to go! Well you just look great. Here's to many more to come and to cheerleading outfits in different sizes and colors.

Katie said...

cool! good job abby! and we are doing a triathlon in 2 weeks - so thanks for the tip. now, where to find a mini cheerleader....

Becca said...

Wahooooo!!!! You did it! You seriously did such a great job. Can't believe you just started swimming and you rocked it! So fun to do together. Way to go, girl! Thanks for motivating me!