Tuesday, May 12, 2009

No Milk For You

A little less than a month ago Wes had a few diapers with blood in his stool. To make a long story short, his doctor suggested I go dairy free and see if that helped. Turns out that he probably has a difficult time digesting the proteins in dairy products. He is sleeping so much better and no longer screaming in pain every night. Every once-in-awhile he still wakes up screaming with gas pain. I figure he has a sensitive stomach and it is probably something I ate. I'm super careful with dairy, so I here is the big question for you all:

Are there foods you ate that your baby was sensitive to?

I'm hoping to avoid all the bad foods so I can maximize my sleep at night. I'm really not ready to be done breast feeding and his doctor said things usually get better around six months. I'm trying to hold our until then.

Let me tell you, it really stinks not eating dairy. Our play group went to a Purity dairy factory last week and they had all this really yummy free ice cream. Yeah, I couldn't eat any. I'm okay with it.

It's all worth it though for this cute face.

5 comments:

Emily said...

Milk is in EVERYTHING...even CHEESE!!!!
I don't know if I could do it! :)
I understand a little of what you're saying, Elliot can't handle chocolate or broccoli, or chocolate covered broccoli :)
You're an awesome momma, and a great example of what motherhood means. Giving up the good stuff for the kids, who really are the good stuff.
Hopefully there will continue to be less screaming in your future.

Andersons said...

Awww, Abby, that sucks! I couldn't do it - you're such a champ! His little chubby face is worth it though...what a handsome little dude! My favorite part of this post is when you said, "I'm okay with it." What a quintessential Abby line. :-)

Trish&Heath said...

Hey Abby! I drank soy milk for months when I was nursing Bree! I wish I would've done that with Rhett, it helped Bree so much. Other than that I've just heard that broccoli and chocolate give babies gas, so I tried to go easy on those to, but I don't think Bree had as hard of time with it as poor Wes! Try the La Leche League website, my friend is part of the LLL and they know EVERYTHING about breastfeeding - more than you want to know!

Lindsay said...

He is so so so handsome, I can see how that little face could get you to do anything. Hopefully you both do well on the new plan. You are such a good mom. I might have a hard time sacraficing icecream.

aminut said...

I'm so so proud of you for not giving up on nursing. I'm so for it that it impresses me that your giving up dietary means to help Wes. It really is a short amount of time to be able to provide nutrient for Wes so you are SPECTACULAR. I dido the broccoli, ANY thing caffeinated, onions, and cabbage. I say the purer the better (less preservatives)! There are probably some great health food store w/ really great options. Yes more expensive but so worth it. Recently, I found sunflower butter for Ben & it's so good so he gets his "peanut butter sandwich". Vanilla soy milk is great in cereal (I know how you love your cereal). Also previously mentioned--LLL is the best for tips &/or help so for sure check that out. OH and have I told you I love you lately?